Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fool's Trick Played by Gmail?!?!

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/customtime/index.html

What a GREAT IDEA!!! Send an email retroactively with a date all the way back to as far as April 1, 2004??? But you only get 10 per year because, as Gmail rightly notes, using it more often, "would cause people to lose faith in the accuracy of time, thus rendering the feature useless."

I have to admit that I believed this for about 14.5 seconds...

Til I read under their "How Does It Work" section that, "Gmail utilizes an e-flux capacitor to resolve issues of causality..."

The testimony from beta users like "Miriam S., a delivery girl" was pretty good:

"The entire concept of 'late' no longer exists for me. That's pretty cool. Thanks Gmail!"

The best testimony I saw, though, was from "Todd J., Investment Banker":
"I used to be an honest person; but now I don't have to be. It's just so much easier this way. I've gained a lot of productivity by not having to think about doing the 'right' thing."
I don't know how, after reading that, I thought this could be an April Fool's trick. After all, since when would an investment banker (or any banker) have EVER been an HONEST person! Puleeze!

In all honesty, Gmail did a great job with this one!!!

Kudos to my beloved email provider!!!

No comments: