Sunday, January 18, 2009

"...Gay By Divine Rite..."

I am still in tears.

I don't really watch Oprah Winfrey much. I have nothing against her at all, but I just don't usually catch her show, but apparently recently she had an episode entitled, "Spirituality 101", and one of the guests was Sedric, a gay, African American man. The panel of "experts" (I guess that's what you'd call them) were speaking to this man about his sexual orientation & Rev. Ed Bacon from All Saints Church in Pasadena, California actually said something that Oprah says she had never heard a pastor say before:

"Being gay is a gift from God."

The second of the three experts was Dr. Michael Bernard Beckwith founder of the Agape International Spiritual Center, who agreed with Rev. Bacon, said that Sedric was made in the image of God and, therefore, he was "gay by divine rite." Wow! I've never heard it put that way. The third expert, Elizabeth Lesser, of the Omega Institute, didn't speak at all about Sedric's situation in the segment I saw on YouTube (and have included here).

"Being gay is a gift from God."

Such simple words, yet it has taken most of my time on this planet to finally understand that & to really believe it. During my life's journey, as I am sure you all know by now, I don't think that "gift" was a word I was able to use to describe my sexual orientation until relatively recently. For most of my life, I think it is safe to say, it sure didn't feel like a gift.

I have included the Oprah Show clip & the clip below that is the video of Rev. Bacon speaking at what appears to be his home church & explaining his conversation with Oprah & the responses Oprah & he got after he spoke those simple words.

I had to share them with you:







No comments: